Friday, December 4, 2015

Love That Dog by Sharon Creech


Creech, S. (2001). Love that dog. NY: HarperCollins.

Jack absolutely hates poetry. He doesn’t understand it and he really doesn’t care. He is completing his assignments merely to get his teacher off his back. Jack begins to write more about his beloved pet that he misses in the different kinds of poems he learns in class. As Jack begins to write more and more poetry, he discovers that he just might be good at it.


Love That Dog would appeal to most readers in my library. The word count is pretty low and the fact that it has something to do with dogs would make it high interest. I think this book would be ideal for reluctant readers. I would sell Love That Dog as a funny and sentimental story during my book talk. I would read the beginning of the book, which I think would hook most of the listeners. I would then ask them to write a poem about their pet.

No comments:

Post a Comment