Friday, December 4, 2015

Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick


Selznick, B. (2007). Wonderstruck. NY: Scholastic.

Wonderstruck is the story of two children that exist in very different time periods. Rose longs for the love of her absent mother. She collects newspaper clippings of all the stories her mother is featured in because she is a very famous actress. Ben has just lost his mother and is in search of who his father could be. There stories are told concurrently with Rose's story being told in pictures and Ben's story told with text. In the end we discover just how closely Rose and Ben's stories are intertwined. 

I believe that Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick might appeal to the readers in my library because it involves a lot of illustrations. Books with a higher AR level rarely have very many illustrations. Students that are more advanced can have a picture book alongside a novel. I would sell this to my student by doing a book talk during my library class. I would show them some illustrations and ask them if they can narrate what is happening and what the author is trying to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment